Meet & Greet Events:
Districts Three and Five
Abita Springs Town Hall
22161 Level Street, Abita Springs, LA 70420
Thursday, October 11, from 5pm to 7pm
Questions & Answers:
The following questions have been submitted to candidates running for School Board in St. Tammany Parish:
(Candidate Q&A’s are linked below)
**The DEADLINE for candidates to submit answers for publication was Friday, September 14th**
- What do you see as the main job responsibilities of a school board representative and how many school board meetings have you attended in person in the last two years?
- What is the Minimum Foundation Program (MFP) and why is it important to the St. Tammany schools?
- The state has imposed numerous unfunded mandates on the St. Tammany school system. Discuss two of these mandates and how they affect the school-operating budget.
- Tammany has an “out of district” policy that states a student must attend the public school in the district where the parent/ guardian owns a home and claims a homestead exemption or has proof of rent or lease. There have been reported cases in which the policy has been violated. A by-product of the policy violation is the overcrowding of some schools and under-utilization of others. Do you think anything should be done to balance the enrollment and reduce the need for more buildings? If so, what?
- A major concern to parents and voters is the safety of our children while they are in our care at school. By the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year, all 55 schools will have a school resource officer (SRO) funded by FEMA and the BP oil settlement. These funds will eventually expire. Would you favor increasing the school board tax millage to cover this cost or do you have another suggestion for coming up with the money?
- The Louisiana Industrial Ad Valorem Tax Exemption program allows school districts to reject exemptions that decrease the tax revenue available to the school board. What action, if any, should the school board take in compliance with the current law to adopt new policies and standards for industries seeking tax exemptions? Do you think the school board should accept or reject most exemptions?
The following responses have been received by the League of Women Voters of St. Tammany: