The following responses were received from candidates running for Parish President in St. Tammany Parish:
Patricia “Pat” Brister
Karen Champagne – no response
Michael “Mike” Cooper – no response
Submitted to candidates by the League of Women Voters of St. Tammany:
1. Should the parish government acquire, operate and maintain currently private sewage and water systems? Why or why not?
2. What is your definition of economic development in St. Tammany Parish? What criteria should be used in granting property tax exemptions and what property tax exemptions do you support?
3. The St. Tammany Parish Council votes to allow the Parish President to enter into each Private/Parish Partnership Agreement. Should they be made public and the Parish Council approve these Agreements prior to the Parish President actually signing them?
4. Given the frequency of serious vehicular accidents on I-12 between State Highway 59 and State Highway 1077, what do you suggest can be done immediately to lessen the danger that obviously exists? Please explain.
5. Most of St. Tammany Parish is rural and a large number of the residents living there lack personal transportation. As a result, rural residents lack opportunities for good jobs and, most importantly, lack access to medical care. What specific plans do you have to address the critical needs of our rural citizens?